The outside of your house means a lot. Curb appeal usually comes to mind first. When your exterior looks great, it adds to the neighborhood and helps you take pride in your home. Repairing or replacing roofing, siding and windows also protects your home from the elements and keeps energy costs low. From a contractor’s point of view, the roof is at the heart of a well-protected exterior. Keeping your roof in great shape impacts so many other aspects of your home–inside and out. Once you get your roof squared away, you may have other exterior projects on your list. But can one company do it all, or should you hire for each job separately?
When Do I Need To Hire A Contractor For My Exterior?
Many of us are comfortable taking on smaller home projects on our own. But there are a few exterior jobs that usually mean calling a contractor:
- Roof replacement and repair: from missing or damaged shingles to water leaks, staying on top of roof repair saves money and headaches down the road.
- Siding replacement and repair: siding can be torn off by the elements or experience rot, wear and tear as it ages.
- Gutter replacement protects your home from water damage.
- Replacing old windows with new energy-efficient models can mean significant savings on energy costs.
- Replacing exterior doors can give your home a fresh look at a focal point for curb appeal and be more energy-efficient.
Do I Need A Separate Roofer and General Contractor?
Roofing companies have employees with unique skill sets. It’s a risky job that requires care and precision. So when you need roof repairs, it’s best to call a roofing specialist. However, many roofing contractors also do other work exceptionally well, as those skills translate well to all areas of your home’s exterior. Your roofing contractor understands how all parts work together: roofing, siding, gutters and windows.
I’m Planning An Exterior Remodel: What Comes First?
- A solid, high-quality roof is your number one source of protection from the elements. If you’re considering multiple exterior jobs, start with the roof to avoid damaging the siding during the work.
- Next, move onto gutters and downspouts to carry water away from your home.
- Then plan for siding repair and replacement to protect and beautify your home.
- Windows are next in line, offering energy efficiency while providing a fresh look.
- Finish up with a new front door. You’d be surprised at what a new front door can do for curb appeal. It’s also a meaningful threshold between your exterior and interior as guests come into your home.
What Are The Advantages Of A One-Stop Shop For Exterior Work?
Working with a qualified roofing contractor for all of your exterior needs has several advantages:
- Aesthetics: choosing one contractor for your exterior work helps create a seamless look. Your team will work with you to make sure all the elements work well together.
- Scheduling: using a single contractor makes it easier to organize the work and get things done on a schedule that makes sense.
- Faster completion: sticking with one contractor avoids multiple start-ups and prevents delays.
- Cost savings: a one-stop shop can help you save on labor costs and create economies of scale.
- Energy efficiency: getting your roofing, siding, and windows replaced together creates an energy-efficient home and brings lower heating and cooling bills.
- When you find a trusted company, using them for all of your exterior needs avoids the headache of sourcing and vetting new contractors for each job. You want a company that will do the work in-house instead of hiring subcontractors.
DryHome: Roofing Pros and Much More
DryHome is a top name in the Northern Virginia roofing community with decades of experience and excellent referrals. But DryHome is much more than a roofing contractor. Our talented team includes experts in repairing and replacing siding, windows, gutters, doors and skylights with energy efficiency and aesthetics in mind. Our skilled professionals understand how each exterior element flows into the next and will work with you to achieve excellent form and function in every area. When you find a reliable contractor who meets your roofing and other exterior improvement needs, it just makes sense to stick with a team you know and trust.