Besides having the best name ever, sun tunnels are one of the hottest trends in lighting. To give you a better sense of what they do, they’re also called tubular skylights, another wonderfully descriptive term. They use new technology to bring natural light into any room without electricity–even rooms where windows and traditional skylights aren’t an option. Bright, beautiful sun tunnels can lower energy costs and update a dark room with natural light, all at an affordable cost.
How Do Sun Tunnels Work?
Think of a sun tunnel like a funnel, literally pouring natural light from the roof into an interior space. They’re similar to skylights but can bring natural sunlight to spaces where skylights can’t help. Sun tunnels use mirror technology to reflect sunlight all the way down a metal tube and bring it into darker spaces in your home.
Let’s look at a sun tunnel from top to bottom. It starts outside with a weatherproof plastic dome on your roof that captures light from outside. Then the tube uses reflection to bring that light to a stylish diffuser(similar to a light fixture) in the ceiling. The diffuser is the interior light source that you see from inside your home and comes in range of styles–just like a traditional light fixture, but with warm natural light pouring out.
Sun Tunnels: Flexible or Rigid?
Clients have two options when choosing a sun tunnel: flexible material that bends around other fixtures or a rigid tunnel that extends straight down.
- Flexible sun tunnels are ideal for working around obstacles in your attic space and are super easy to install. However, they’re best suited for shorter distances like a small attic space.
- Rigid tunnels are best for longer distances and provide brighter light. Because of their high impact light reflection, they can also be used with solar night lights, capturing sunlight for use at night through a solar charged battery for gorgeous soft light without electricity.
How Are Sun Tunnels Installed?
Our clients are often surprised at how quickly we’re able to install a sun tunnel, keeping disruption to a minimum. Installation involves three simple steps and can take as little as 90 minutes.
- DryHome takes measurements in the attic and marks off locations in the roof and ceiling.
- DryHome then cuts a hole in the roof and installs the top part of the tunnel, including the dome and flashing material to prevent leaks.
- Inside your home, DryHome cuts a hole in the ceiling and installs the lower part of the tunnel and the stylish diffuser of your choice.
What Are the Benefits of Sun Tunnels?
Here are a few reasons sun tunnels are a great choice:
- Sun tunnels bring natural light into interior rooms where windows and skylights aren’t an option, creating an attractive and healthy environment.
- Installation time is minimal.
- Sun tunnels offer big results at an affordable price.
- Low profile exterior design fits perfectly into your roofline without looking obtrusive.
- They fit perfectly with green design goals, using less artificial light and less electricity.
- Because of their energy efficient construction, they often qualify for a tax credit in addition to saving money on electric bills.
Why Choose a Sun Tunnel Over a Skylight?
At DryHome, we love skylights. In many spaces, they are the perfect option. However, there are a number of cases where sun tunnels offer clear advantages.
- They reach areas that skylights can’t, including interior hallways, laundry rooms and bathrooms.
- They’re an economical choice: with prices starting around $850, they can completely transform a room.
- Their small exterior footprint takes up only the tiniest space and minimizes heat loss during the colder months.
DryHome and Velux: Making Life Brighter
At DryHome, bringing natural light to unlit spaces is one of our favorite jobs. Thanks to our trusted supplier Velux, we’re able to offer attractive and energy efficient skylights and sun tunnels. Velux sun tunnels are prefabricated with care, so they typically take our pros just around 90 minutes to install. Velux uses high-quality materials with a 20-year warranty, and our skilled crew will do the job right. Velux sun tunnels are energy efficient, bringing down electric bills and providing a 30 percent tax credit for homeowners. We also offer a range of gorgeous diffusers on the interior end that give you choices in the look and feel of your light source and let you control the amount of natural light that comes in. The more we learn, the better we understand that natural light makes any home feel better. With Velux sun tunnels, you’ll be able to let the sun shine in spaces you never thought possible.