Replacing your home’s windows can seem like a daunting proposition, but the benefits you gain can make a big difference. Besides boosting your home’s beauty, replacement windows offer many other benefits, like reduced energy costs, increased comfort and quiet, more natural light, better safety and easier cleaning.
Over time, your windows need to be replaced, just like your appliances or roof shingles. But, determining when to to replace your home’s windows isn’t always easy. If your home’s windows are older than 15 years, it’s probably a good time to check and make sure they are still operating correctly. For instance, do you have trouble opening or closing your windows? Are they difficult to clean properly? Do you consistently find moisture on your windows’ interior? Can you feel a draft when near your windows? If you can answer yes to any or more of these questions, chances are that you need replacement windows.
- Get Better Energy Efficiency –Many older homes have original windows built with single-pane glass. These old windows often freeze open or shut, and they feel cold or icy to the touch. With heating and cooling costs on the rise, replacing aging, drafty windows with efficient, tight-fitting ones can have a big impact on your energy bills. Newer energy-efficient windows offer standard insulating features such as heat-reflecting low-E coatings and argon gas between panes and can save homeowners anywhere from 10-25% each year on heating and cooling costs.
- Reduce Noise – If you live near an airport, child care center, school, or a busy street, noise can be at a high level in your house. Replacing your windows with dual-pane or a laminated glass can reduce the outside noise transmission into your home.
- Protect Your Belongings – Ultraviolet rays entering through windows and patio doors can lead to fading of furniture, carpet, window treatments and artwork. These and other materials, especially ones with organic fabrics, are susceptible to fading when exposed to sunlight. Upgrading your windows to more energy efficient products can potentially reduce fading and extend the life of your belongings. Most replacement windows are available with glass that blocks up to 95% of the sun’s ultraviolet rays that can cause fading.
- Eliminate the Need for Storm Windows – The annual ritual of installing and removing storm windows can be challenging and time-consuming, especially for multi-level homes. The energy efficiency of replacement windows eliminates the need to install and remove storm windows.
- Keep the Weather Outside – The weather conditions outside your home should not appear on the inside. Inefficient windows can leak, allowing water to come into your house both in front of and behind the walls—a leading cause of mold and mildew in homes. Aging windows or patio doors often leak air, resulting in high energy bills during peak heating and cooling months.
- Add Curb Appeal – Your home is your biggest investment and an important part of your life. Replacing old windows can greatly improve the look of your home and the value of your investment.
- Increase Your Safety – Is everyone in your household able to open and close the windows? If the windows are hard to open, get stuck in the up or down position, or won’t open in and out of place, it can pose a serious danger, especially in the event of a fire. This alone is a good reason to replace the windows in your home.
- Clean Windows More Easily – Old double-hung windows had to be cleaned from the outside. New double-hung windows feature tilt-in sash designs, which means the exterior glass can be cleaned from inside by tilting the sash inward for easy access.
- Put an End to Costly Maintenance – Want to eliminate the job of painting your window frames for good? Replace your current windows with aluminum-clad or vinyl-clad windows. Most replacement windows offer exterior trim that never needs to be painted.
Find a Reputable and Reliable Installer
Even the best windows won’t deliver the look, comfort, or savings you expect if they’re installed poorly. It’s important to find a certified installer with experience, references, and a history of doing business in your local area.
If your windows on the world no longer enhance the facade of your house, shield it from the elements or filter out noise, it may be time to replace them with new ones that will enhance your home’s beauty, reduce your energy bills, increase your comfort and safety, and promote peace and quiet.
If you live in the Northern Va area and are looking for a replacement window contractor call us or contact us online to get more information.