What would you say if we told you vinyl siding is classy and cool? A few decades ago, vinyl got an unfortunate reputation as a cheap material, prone to cracking and sagging. But things have changed in recent years. Today’s vinyl siding is not your grandmother’s ugly synthetic stuff. Thanks to dramatic improvements in materials and new installation techniques, vinyl siding is now upscale and attractive. And it has some clear advantages over wood: it’s more durable and allows for more solid weather protection. It’s a great choice, even for older homes. Here are a few reasons why:
- Vinyl siding looks terrific. Take one look at the top-quality siding choices available from today’s manufacturers, and you’ll see what we mean. The color choices are fabulous: from trendy gorgeous grays and slate blues to wood looks that will make you do a double-take. With realistic wood finishes like walnut, natural, and even whitewash, the possibilities are endless for whatever aesthetic you choose. Vinyl also offers a stellar range of textures. It has moved way beyond the flat, artificial look of years past. Instead, you can choose from gorgeous styles–from classic clapboard, shingles, and shakes.
- The accessories are top-notch. Quality manufacturers also offer a wide range of soffits and exterior trim to accentuate your siding choice. You’ll be blown away by the styles and colors of trim, from classic and understated to bold and adventurous. You can even duplicate elegant Victorian styling with vinyl.
- You’ll save money. Even premium vinyl siding is usually less expensive than natural wood. It’s also easier and cheaper to install, so you’ll save on every level.
- Vinyl siding is low maintenance. When you have wood siding, it seems like painting is an annual event. If you’d rather spend your free time doing other things, vinyl siding is a perfect choice. You can go for decades without a paint job. It’s easy to wash on your own with regular household cleaning products and water. It won’t rot, peel or dent, and if you get a crack or tear in your siding, it’s easy to replace.
- Vinyl siding offers the best weather protection. Modern vinyl is resistant to rain, wind, and hail, and new materials provide better protection than ever from fading and sun damage. Today’s thicker premium siding is also resistant to sagging and offers more protection from wind. Manufacturers have designed new vinyl to release moisture instead of holding it in to prevent mold and mildew. Be sure to ask your contractor about manufacturer warranties– quality companies offer excellent protections.
- Vinyl siding is an energy saver. Insulated siding adds an extra layer of protection, helping keep your home cool in summer and warm in winter. It’s a “green” choice that will also save money on energy bills.
- Vinyl siding is an excellent investment. Research shows replacing aging wood or siding with updated vinyl essentially pays for itself in resale value.
Modern Vinyl Siding: Installation Is Key
With today’s high-quality vinyl siding, expert installation is essential. It’s no longer a cheap material that a contractor can throw on and call it a day. Improper installation can lead to buckling and sagging as siding expands and contracts in response to temperature changes. A skilled contractor knows how to install your new siding properly to keep it in top shape for years to come.
At DryHome Roofing & Siding, we have more than 30 years of experience in completing attractive and durable exterior home projects. We’ve been thrilled with the fantastic evolution of vinyl over the years, and we recommend it for even the most upscale homes. Our experienced team knows all the ins and outs of installation. As always, ask us for references and credentials–we expect it.